Monday, April 27, 2009

crazy weekend

This weekend was the busiest I’ve had in a while. I felt good waking up both days, which helped my get up and go, and it was gorgeous outside, which made the little part of me that’s been dying all winter bounce back to life.

Saturday I went to the CT Sheep & Wool Festival with Witchy, and wandered around in the sun a little bit. The buildings were a little overloaded with people, and with the way everyone was jostling each other, I was constantly worried I was going to get an elbow in the stomach...and, as most of you can guess, that would have led to me punching someone out...but luckily no one came that close to me, although Witchy got shoved around a few times. I bought my first spinning wheel, a Merlin Tree Hitchhiker Double-Treadle, which I’m very excited about, although there is going to be a learning curve, since the new version is different than Witchy’s old version, so I’m relearning to spin on it, but I’m still doing fairly ok on it. We also picked up a heck of a steal on alpaca fiber, because the person selling it was getting ready to shear her alpaca’s for this year, and needed to get rid of last year’s shearings...I just wish we had grabbed at that when we first walked past, because by the time we got back there, most of it was gone already, but, I’ll live. My last purchase was not spinning related, but was some yummy smelling shea butter soap, as I’m still hoping to win the battle of the stretch marks. The only real downside to the whole experience was the one woman who Witchy was talking to, who I had been pre-warned was hardcore C-F, who looked at me like I was lower than dirt because I would diminish myself by allowing a parasite to take over my uterus. It was annoying, but I will admit I found myself wanting to laugh more than get upset about it, because looking at this woman, I was just happy she was not breeding. She was ugly as hell, and didn’t seem all that intelligent…apparently Darwin was working on this one, because I would not want to see the offspring that could come from her.

We got back to the house, and did some spinning out on the back porch, while I managed to convince her son that I’m pretty much the meanest person who ever lived (which, y’know, I am, but it usually takes people longer than an afternoon to figure it out). I also learned why not to walk in my garage barefoot, as I stepped on a wire where the plastic had worn off, and gave myself a little shock. (that wire got thrown away the next morning) the only reason this concerned me at all was that the little man picked Saturday to not be very active at all, even after I threw some highly caffeinated, highly sugar filled soda down my throat, so I had a couple of small panic attacks, even though I knew intellectually that I hadn’t harmed him. (Yes, I watched the movie Powder one too many times when I was a child)

He made up for it yesterday though. I woke up at 7:30-ish with what felt like an entire circus going on in my stomach, which made me take a deep breath and relax. He proceeded to make up for the day before in about an hour, and then every once in a while yesterday would poke me hard as if to say “here I am!” which is fine, I’d rather get the assurance (even if it is a little painful) any day of the week. Yesterday was yard work day. I got the back porch cleaned up and swept and all the leaves picked up (the irony of the fact that we get more leaves than our neighbors in our backyard, while we have *no* trees is not lost on me) I also got one of the gardens raked out, and determined that I need to find out if home depot or lowe’s rents motorized tillers for our back garden, which is a huge mess, and not something I should be fighting with as I get bigger. I took a few breaks to sit inside and cool off with some water, but the only downside to that is the heat kept getting worse while I was doing that, so after the last one, I went back out, to only be able to stand out there for a few minutes before I started feeling lousy…so I called it a day with the yard work. I went grocery shopping instead, picking up some essentials (and once again proving my love for my husband by getting him a flavor of ice cream that he loves, called fenway fudge...*grumbles about red sox stuff coming into my house*) came home and put some food in my stomach. Soon after I did that, I started feeling wicked overheated, even with the exhaust fan on to give some air circulation, so at about 7 last night, I crawled into bed with a book and my bottle of water. Neither of which lasted long as I passed the hell out. Woke up at 1:30, realized I was still alone in the house (I had gotten some warning that the boy was going to be late, I just didn’t know how late) so I sent him a text asking when he expected to be home...only to hear the motorcycle pull into the driveway a couple minutes later. (I always did have impeccable timing :)) I got up and spent a little bit of time with him, and admitted to him that I’m going to try to either hit the gym or do some walking outside a few times a week, because I have felt much better now that I’m active. And, I’ll even give him credit where it’s due, he managed to swallow the “I told you so” that I could see forming. I may try to find the trail that someone told me is out around my work building, but I’ve also heard that Fisher Cats have been seen around, and after my dad got attacked by one last year, I’m a little gun shy when it comes to them, so a treadmill at the gym, or the track at the high school in my backyard might be my best bet. We’ll see. I know myself well enough to know that I will say I have to be more active, but I do have a tendency to be a couch potato.

Today is another beautiful day, and unfortunately, I’m “stuck” inside but luckily this job allows me to have the windows open so I am not breathing in recycled A/C like I would have been at my old job.


The WoolWytch said...

it really was a lovely day, and your wheel is absolutely adorable!

You'll get your way with the new wheel all sorted out soon and then you'll be spinning at top speed before you know it.

thinggtwoo said...

It was Great to meet you at the Fest, Sunny - now I have a face for the Person! :) I hope we get to spin together sooner rather than later, too!